Friday, August 10, 2012

When your lifestyle makes you sick.

I have come to that wonderful place in life where it becomes time to weigh pros and cons. There are a lot of things that I do (or don't do), eat, and drink that I enjoy very much, but unfortunately they make me pretty sick. I think I have finally arrived at the place where enough IS enough, and it is time to do something to change my life.

I came to a pretty realistic conclusion about a year ago that I had a mild to severe gluten intolerance. Since then, I have yo-yoed back and forth between eliminating it from my diet and ignoring the symptoms. My weight has fluctuated more than it should at 25 years young as a result, and I have suffered some pretty nasty digestive issues that required too much testing to determine nothing that a change in diet couldn't have.

It wasn't until my recent return to work that I realized that the issues I have are more than just an upset tummy caused by too much wheat. My immune system is pretty shot. Within three weeks of working, I have dealt with four separate skin infections that I have a hard time kicking. I have spent way too much of my life on antibiotics to trust their effectiveness any longer, or to risk a mutation of the bacteria into something resistant and more dangerous, so I started googling.

My research found that in addition to a ritualistic routine of bodily cleansing, my diet was feeding the bacteria and allowing it to keep breeding like rabbits. Bacteria is fed by sugar. Sugar isn't just consumed in the form of sweets, but also in starchy carbohydrate bashed foods that are broken down to sugar in the body. That includes all of my favorite things: pasta, rice, bread... alcohol. So here I am, faced with the life-choice to eliminate all of these things for good in the interest of my health and the health of those around me. It's a hard one.

Wow, I could use a drink.

No comments:

Post a Comment