Tuesday, July 17, 2012

The newest chapter.

As of yesterday, I am a working woman again. As in a paying job. As in outside of our little home. As in back to slinging pizza and beer. As in I will be having adult interactions with someone other than my husband between one and four times a week. The change is welcome.

Jason and I have been toying around with the idea of me finding work again since finding out about his layoff. We had a hard time working the details out. Finding a new job would be difficult. In today's economy, finding a job in which I would be able to only work weeknights and some (few) weekends, with all holidays, birthdays, family events, etc. off. Add to that the fact that I have a toddler who will inevitably get sick and a husband who occasionally has to do estimates in the evenings, and the result is a pretty undesirable scheduled employee.

The only real option was to go back to my former job as what I like to call "a freelance server." Put my phone number and availability up on the written schedule so that the other servers, hosts, and bartenders can call me to pick up their shifts. No strings attached. I have the right to refuse. I don't have to worry about requesting off for a weekend at the beach. Work as much or as little as works for my family on any particular week. Have the comfort and security of knowing that it is a successful and very busy establishment where the money I make will be worth missing Wyatt's dinner and bedtime a couple of times a week.

The idea is still a bit surreal to me. I haven't worked in almost eighteen months. I can count the number of times that I haven't been the one to put Wyatt to bed on two hands. At the end of the day, though, it is the right thing to do for my family and for our future together. Plus, who knows when I will have the opportunity to work again once Jason's business grows to the point that I may be needed or once we have another child. I am going to relish this newest chapter while it lasts.

No comments:

Post a Comment